MODERN Tool Rating: 4.5/5
Category: Course Management Tool
Blackboard Learn enables educators to design and manage blended and online courses, assign assessments and grades, and augment their systems. Blackboard also offers a dedicated set of collaboration tools (Blackboard Collaborate), analytics for tracking student retention, enrolment, and engagement (Blackboard Analytics), a mass notification system (Blackboard Connect), a social media manager (Blackboard Sociability), as well as commercial content from major publishers.
3 Reasons to use Blackboard Learn:
- Blackboard Learn is a tool readily used, tested and favourited by HEI and VET.
- It allows students to take ownership of their learning. They can also keep track of their own progress, marking content they have reviewed and testing their knowledge by completing self-test quizzes as they monitor their studies.
- Blackboard is accessible from your PC, Mac, tablet or smart phone. Once you have an internet connection you have access to Blackboard Learn.
Here are just a few of the possibilities with Facebook:
- Create closed groups. Participants will enter only by invitation and no one else will be able to see the contents, discussions, posts etc. inside the group.
- Create polls to receive feedback about a course or a program they are thinking of implementing, to request the opinion of their audience on a specific topic, or even to generate statistics
- Create questionnaires to comprehend the likes, dislikes and interests of their current or future students and build the course around them.
- Upload course contents, material and resources in their account or the closed group they created.
- Use all available learning and communication multimedia tools Facebook offers. There can be videos, presentations, images, pictures, discussion groups, chats, private messaging, sharing, liking, highlighting and promoting.
- Create a friendly learning atmosphere where students to introduce themselves, connect and collaborate
Interested in finding out more about Blackboard Learn and how you can use it your class or lecture room? We have completed a pedagogic assessment of this tool which details its strengths and weaknesses based on its potential for innovative teaching strategies.
We collected and created some exemplar videos which include tutorials, case studies of educators using this tool and more. Click to watch and learn.
Now that you know all about Blackboard Learn – here are some more case studies to help you figure out how it could be used in your organisation.
- Irish Tax Institute use Blackboard as their online learning management system. Check out their intro page which details how they use it, student FAQ’s etc: http://taxinstitute.ie/Home/BlackboardLearnattheIrishTaxInstitute.aspx
- National University of Ireland Galway – use Blackboard as their online learning management system. Check out their intro page with teacher and learner resources and more! http://www.nuigalway.ie/teaching-with-technology/blackboard/